TLC logo TLC #148  Feb. 13, 2016

Dear Hearts & Gentle People:

Belated Happy Groundhog Day and early Happy Valentine’s Day to you dear hearts and gentle people.

Every once in a while something comes along to prompt an “immediate” issue of TLC. There was considerable interest when this event was first mentioned, so I’m happy to send along the following information about “Return of the Champions.”

The Reunion of all of Lexington's undefeated and/or State Champion football teams (1946, 1954, 1960, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1988, and 1995) will be held Labor Day weekend (September 2 -4). Planned activities are as follows: 

Friday September 2, 2016

All teams will be honored at the Lexington Football Game.  Reception at the spotted Pig following the game.

Saturday September 3, 2016

September 3, 2016

Attend Church of your choice (recommended: Second Baptist Rev. Everett Hannon Captain of the 8-1 1975 Minuteman team).

What a great time that promises to be. Allan Lee LHS ’59 is spearheading the weekend.

A good way to keep track of events in the old hometown is:

March 8 LIVE! in Lexington Concert Series is presenting “Hits and Grins,” three musicians and songwriters from Nashville. The name says it all. 660-259-2215 for tickets and further information.

March 12 is the annual St. Patrick’s Parade and associated revelry. Parade is at 2 PM.

March 26 is another major event:  The newly reopened Municipal Auditorium (dubbed The LEX) is partnering with LIVE! in Lexington to present an evening of entertainment. It will be a big community party with music and dancing. “LIVE! at The LEX” will feature two hit bands – the Nace Brothers and (opening for them) Cedar Creek. This event has not been announced to the general public yet, but tickets will be available soon at only $10 admission. Further information email me at or call 660-259-2215.

And now to the mail:

I am amazed that we have not yet uncovered the mystery of what happened to the brass pole at the old firehouse. Several memories did surface, however.

From Duncan Lee:  There were, indeed, two fire trucks in the old station for a long time. Don't know when the old one was discarded or replaced. The "second" truck was ancient. I don't know any details but I know it was loaded with fire hose. I remember one day, probably in the early '60's, there was a fire on the far east end of town. It may have been a grass fire threatening some homes, don't remember, but to reach the fire from the nearest fire plug, all the hose from the first truck was extended. Bill sent someone back to town for the old truck, which by some miracle started, but unfortunately it broke down before reaching the fire. I remember seeing it stopped on, I think, Franklin Ave. A classmate of mine (LHS '60), John Tye, worked at the Fire Dept. for most or all his working life and would be a great source of info. I think he started out there while still in high school just hanging around and helping out. He became a loyal and valuable asset to the city. I last saw John at our 50th Reunion. 

Sorry to hear of the passing of Wayne Tabb. He was one of the all time characters of our generation. The stories about him would fill a big book. Mickey Dishman probably has more than anyone. 

Jack Gueguen wrote:  I think the note about the old fire house has promise of some mileage.  I barely remember Mr. Palmer, but I do remember Clarence Amos as fire chief, as well as his wife and daughter (Jane) who used to worship at our church.  He may have had a couple of teammates at the station.

Right across the street on Franklin was the bus terminal.  One or two summers, I used to take the early bus (Greyhound) to downtown K.C., attend Mass at old St. Patrick’s on the corner of 9th and Cherry (now a historical monument still in use), and walk down to the summer job my dad had gotten for me at the Corps of Engineers (Davidson Bldg.).  Then at the end of the work day, the bus to Lex. Picked me up at the corner of 10th and Grand for the return trip.  What a faithful man the driver, Leroy Bowers, was!  He always made sure I never missed the bus that summer. Poppa, by the way, was chief clerk at the Engineers’ yards right by the river in Napoleon; he went back and forth to Lex. for years.  One summer I got an inspection ride with him on the barge fleet, the Sergeant Floyd, down the river from Napoleon to Waverly.  What a memorable ride that was!  He was inspecting the condition of levees.

Besides the bus to KC, there was also a westbound to Marshall and Columbia.  Lex. was still a regular stop.  It only continued a few more years.  Sharon (Jack’s sister) and I also got rides with Gilda Fiora back and forth to summer jobs other years.  She would pick us up and drop us off at the corner of 16th and Main, and what a faithful commuter she was for many years every work day.  I think she worked downtown KC at the state employment office.  Those summer jobs were meant to help us with college tuition, which was quite low in those years (the ‘50s).

Many thoughts still linger about the engineering trainee job with the Engineers.  One summer a couple of young fellows from south Asia visited, and I was asked to show them the dam under construction at Tuttle Creek in Kansas.  They took notes of it.  That reservoir was meant to curb disastrous floods on the Kansas (Kaw) River, like the one that had wiped out the meat packing plants in KC Kansas.

By the way, after the 2 years of pre-engineering courses at Wentworth, I only lasted one week as an engineering student at Notre Dame.  It was the statics course that wiped me out!  But then I found the liberal arts and the rest is history, as they say.

I received several lovely personal notes from Conrad Pitz ’56, George B. Gordon, Norma Barney, Jane Ann Whitney ’56 Hunt, Gordon White ’59, Davoren (Mrs. Bill) Tempel ‘56, and Del Scharnhorst ‘55. Modesty prevents quoting them but I do want those people to know how much I appreciate the “attaboys.”

George B. also sent along an obituary for Kenneth W. Kopp. He died two years ago, but I’m sure many remember Kenny.  He was a Lexington native and taught for 30 years at Wellington-Napoleon and at Fort Osage High School. He also served in the National Guard for 8 years.

Recent Lexington deaths I have been asked to include: John Hilker, Dale Schaller, “Doc” Stigall, Bonnie Best, and Joan Maxwell.

There is a Tribute Page on the Walker-Nadler-Fuller Funeral Home site, and that includes most obituaries for further information:

As I conclude this issue, it has reached a balmy 19 degrees, up from 16 this morning. However, by Thursday we may reach 70. And that, my friends, is Missouri. Spring will be welcome as always. Write to us!

Your devoted scribe,







Links to other pages