TLC logo TLC #116:  February 4, 2009

Dear Hearts & Gentle People:
One can put up with 13 degree weather when the sun is shining and it's calm. And one is indoors.
That's the situation in the old hometown this morning, although it is supposed to be near 60 degrees tomorrow. The days grow longer - can Spring be far away?
If it seems a short while since Issue #115, it is. But one never knows what will strike a chord with people - and there is much mail to forward.
As for what's new - there is a move to replace parallel parking with angle parking downtown. I will refrain from adding my personal opinion of  this terrible idea. Those of us who grew up here are adept at parallel parking - we had to be, to get our driver's license - but no one can see to back out of a space when a truck or van is parked next to you. I always employ the only the only  method I know: prayer.
Also there's a new tavern in town, the Bottom's Up Tavern, on South Street in Old Town - near where the Old Town Tavern was (and Maude's, come to think of it). That's all the news I can think of, so we'll transport ourselves into the past.
Several people wrote with memories of Carroll Lewis.
Carol Jo Rank '55 Hazlett:
I had not heard about Mr. Lewis' death, but when I was working at the bank (now) Bank of America, he would always come to my window with  "Hello, Carol!" and I would answer with "Hello, Carroll!" and we always had a good laugh.
Duncan '60 Lee also had some enjoyable memories to share:
I'm saddened at the news of Carroll Lewis passing away. Like so many of us that had the opportunity of his teaching and acquaintance, I was also affected by the experience. I was in the 8th grade when he arrived at LHS and the only baritone horn player. He suffered with me in that role for 3 years before adding another. I can't remember each year's events, but I will always remember our first One rating at the state music contest in Columbia. He also formed several small ensembles, one of which was the brass sextet, and we, too, received a One rating, much to my huge surprise.
Carroll was an inspiration to all who learned from him. I remember many Sunday afternoons playing basketball after he opened the gym for us. He was quite a good player, and we always had a great time.
Probably the most important thing I learned from him that served me well in later life was how to march. Carroll built the LHS marching band into a well-known group around the state. We went from marching at football games and forming silly formations of animals and words, to a well trained close-order drill band, performing difficult synchronized maneuvers playing music all the while. When I found myself in the Army in 1966, I already had the marching bit down pat, and it paid off in getting a squad leader's job right away. That meant no KP or guard duty. Thank you, Carroll!  He also formed the only all-female drum corps any of us had ever seen.
I'm sure there will be many tributes to Carroll Lewis on the TLC, but I wanted to add mine. I have more memories, but I'm sure they will covered by others.
Oh, but I must add one of my favorites. His first year at LHS, the band had some pathetic uniforms and not enough for the whole band. The story was that he insisted that new uniforms be provided but was told there was no money. Our first uniform, then, worn for the Fall Festival parade in 1955, consisted of white long sleeve shirts, blue jeans and red bandannas. I'm sure Carroll did this on purpose to send a message to the school board.
Anyway, as we lined up on Franklin Ave. before the start of the parade, we found ourselves behind a large equestrian group. We all knew what that meant - watch where you step! Carroll looked over the situation and told the drum majorette, Liz White I believe, to move the band around the horses, which she proceeded to do. Just when we thought we had it made, the parade organizer came along and made us move back. That was our first real experience with Carroll Lewis, and we all thought he was a hero, even if we did end up marching with one eye on the music and one on the ground! (We soon had brand new uniforms, too.)
Mel Fisher contributes  a great story to Ann Fiora Coen's recent report on The Lexington Creamery:
I confess to being one of the Lexington Creamery DO workers.  I drove the 'hot shot' panel truck, delivering ice cream and other creamery products to grocery stores.  One of my vivid memories is 'burning out' of the driveway onto U.S. 24 to impress my buddies sitting on the wall. When I gunned it and started west, the rear doors flew open and two or three cases of empty half pint bottles flew out onto U.S. 24.  Broken glass was scattered all over the highway, which I had to clean up while listening to my 'friends' on the wall. Not one of my better performances.
And don't you just know how kind and supportive they were!
A nice note arrived from Myrna Gillespie Malloy :
Thank you for sending this info about Lexington classmates and the town. In the short time I lived there, I do have fond memories of high school friends I made and remember the good times. I have purchased several Lexington postcards over the years, from antique shops and now eBay. I did purchase one from eBay of the Old High School since I didn't have any, and the school is now gone. Neat to see cards of what Lexington was like early and in the 50's, a very busy place. We also buy cards from the little town where we live now, Bucklin. All brings back very good memories.
It is surprising how much Lexington ephemera is on eBay.
A new "subscriber" Mary Kathryn Clark '64 Sims
checks in and adds a little more information about Douglass School.
I was born and raised in Lexington. My first three years were spent at Douglass. Fifth grade was when we integrated, but I can't remember the name of that school right now...maybe it was Central? Sixth grade it was back to Douglass, but it had a new name. Seventh grade was when I started at the old LHS and graduated in 1964. I tell you all of this to ask if you would add me to your newsletter list.
Glad to do it. Your credentials certainly qualify you for membership in this august group.
And now, Ladies & Gentlemen, for all those who have been waiting for the complete story of Entine's Department is it, from Debbie Entine herself!!!!
I'm sending you my email address so that I can receive the TLC newsletters.  I have really enjoyed reading the issues that Sharon Shurmantine McGinness has been forwarding to me.  I was quite pleased and fascinated to read the discussions and memories about my family and our store. I'd like to fill in a few details that are missing. 
And I'm eager to get in touch with Tom '57 Campbell. Tom's mother, Gladyse, was the seamstress in our store from the time she was a young woman. She and her husband Tom (and "Tommy") were also family friends.  I have some old films of New Year's Parties we shared with the Campbells and an anniversary celebration of theirs.  I thought Tom would enjoy having a DVD of these memories.
The Red Goose sign was sold shortly before the store burned.  I have tried to find out where it went, but have been unable to get a definitive answer.  I followed a lead to Los Angeles and a neon museum, but came up empty.  I would welcome any leads from the community.  After the sign came down and the subsequent fire, I heard the fire was called "The Revenge of the Red Goose."  The sign can be seen by googling "Lexington, Missouri."  Evidently, a photographer was going around to communities and photographing old neon signs.
Editor's Note: At the end of this story you will find a website where you can get a good view of the very sign.
Sharon Shurmantine McGinness has been a terrific resource of my family's history.
My grandparents, Benjamin Entin and Sadie Entin, along with my aunt and father, Helen Entine Wexler and Ike Entine came to Lexington in the middle 20's from Russia.  My grandfather came to America before World War I, and the rest came after the war. Our original name was "Entin," but my grandfather added the "e" for the business.  We are probably the only immigrants to ever to come to America and lengthen their name!  My father and aunt adopted this change. 
My grandfather and grandmother owned the store which, after their deaths in the late 40's and early 50's, became a partnership between my father and aunt. The store began in a building across the street from its well-known, longtime location.  My grandfather liked to buy the stocks from bankrupt businesses and then send my father and aunt to smaller towns to sell this merchandise.  He purchased from bankruptcy court the stocks from Harry Truman's and Eddy Jacobson's Haberdashery.
Entine's sponsored a baseball team for the local league.  Some of the players, besides my brothers Allen and Benny (as the bat boy ) were Andy Page, Tom Carrender, Frankie Ashinhurst, Don Smith, and I think, Bobby Murry. I would welcome hearing who were the other team members.  After every win the team be treated to Mr. Hagerty's Dairy Creme. Boy, would I like to go back there for a day!
My father owned the buildings on both sides of the store.  One building housed Joe Olario's Sears Store and the other housed a pool hall and bar.  My father also held the contract for selling the safety shoes at Lake City.  He worked there on the day that this store was opened.
Jim O'Malley was correct about the "Mayflower" code that was used in the store.  It indicated the wholesale cost of the garment along side of the selling price. This code indicated how low a staffer could go before causing the store a deficit.  My father received many calls from the school about children who needed winter coats, which he gladly provided.  He often heard from people needing a suit to bury a loved one.  When the store closed in 1986, the ledger holding the charge accounts owed to the store was also closed. 
I did not know that Jim had worked in the store.  I would love to know who else worked there.  The people I know were Gladyse Campbell, Willis Wade, Emma Hoeflicker, Mrs.Terry, Helen Parker, Toots Harrison, Mrs. Cameron, Randy Weedman, Walter Bolton, and Gloria Lefholz.  Gladyse was the store's seamstress.  She also had a wonderful way with Valentine boxes and made some terrific ones for me to take to elementary school at Leslie Bell.
Entine's sponsored a Fall Festival contestant.  I have wonderful film footage in the store from the year Kay Howard was named queen.  I think we also sponsored Susie Vollenweider one year. I would be interested in knowing who else was sponsored by the store.
I believe Jim O'Malley wrote a letter to the Kansas City Star in regard to Ike Skelton and Miss Angela Mautino about the usage of the line "and God made little green apples." This letter prompted me to give Nekie Braswell Kramer a picture to deliver to Ike.  It is a beaming Miss Mautino looking up proudly and adoringly at Ike.
My father loved Lexington.  He played football at LHS and enjoyed going to all the home games at Wentworth Stadium.  His football picture used to hang on a wall in the old high school.  He served on the City Council, from the Second Ward, for twelve years.  He also served as Mayor-Pro-Tem for one. Besides his trademark cigar, my father loved going to the Modern Cafe, Maib's, sending someone to Rush's fountain for ice cream sodas for everyone, and the Dairy Creme.  However, there was a short boycott of the Modern Cafe when Gussie and Jimmy Lorantos raised the price of a cup of coffee from 5 cents to a dime!  My father died from a heart attack in 1976 after a long battle with heart disease. He was 63 years old.
My mother, Rebecca, has often been confused with Aunt Helen.  My mother only worked in the store during holiday seasons or at other busy times.  My mother taught string music in the schools. She worked with Carroll Lewis and Joe Lebouta, teaching part-time until all of her children were in school.
She became the director of both the string orchestra and the full orchestra after Mr. Lebouta left Lexington.  Many of her evenings were spent at home or the high school preparing her students for the music contests held at Central Missouri State and MU. My mother taught in the schools for 29 years, retiring in 1986.
She moved to Overland Park and a very rich second half of her life. Besides music, she taught English to Junior High students.  For her work and dedication to the community, she received the first Elijah S. Dulin Award for Community Service from the Advertiser-News.
A number of my mother's students went on to professional careers in music including Ronnie Perry, Judy Glover, and Linda Lloyd.  Besides these students who kept in touch with her, she would hear from Don Lintvet, Gary Schaberg, Barbie Shipman, Nina and Peter Wilkerson, and Dee Fenner.  While I was a college student in New York City, Gary would take us to a wonderful French restaurant every time my mother came to visit me.
Louis Wexler is our first cousin and the son of Aunt Helen and Uncle Sidney.  Uncle Sidney was from New York and attended Wentworth. He was a dentist, but did not practice.  He preferred the Stock Market and Lexington real estate.  At one time he owned the property where the Dog N'Suds and surrounding businesses were built. He also owned the land across the road which now houses the Montgomery's nursery.  Uncle Sidney owned the land on both sides of  the highway before entering and leaving Lexington.  My cousin Louis, had a cattle farm called "Louisville Farms" which was situated near the power station that sits today on part of this property.
Louis is happily married.  He and his wife Mary Ann celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary last year. They have three children, along with three grandchildren.
Thanks a million, Debbie! And now, people, transport yourself to another time:
And finally, here is a note (and a promise!) from a member of another long-time Lexington family, Evangeline Kehrees Thompson:

Some of the TLC subjects have a life all their own (the Entines). One of these days I am going to write about the Palace of Sweets. George Poulos was was sister Katena's Godfather. (You know, the Greek connection.)
Many thanks to those of you who write - if you knew the amount of mail I get saying how much they enjoy reading about "the old days" and Lexington institutions, every one of you would send a story. Please don't think no one would be interested in your story, no matter how minor it may seem to you. Just do it!
Your devoted scribe,

Links to other pages