TLC logo TLC #105:  November 19, 2007

Dear Hearts & Gentle People:
It's been a gorgeous Fall in the old hometown, but don't rush over to see it now. The recent wind has pretty much de-leafed the trees, but the colors were as beautiful as I've ever seen here.
There was a lot of reaction to the Bobby Price story, and quite a few remarks came in concerning Sir Alfred of Worthington. Those regarding Bobby Price and what's new in Lexington will follow my two pieces of very bad news.
I am sorry to report that Don "Frenchie" LeJeune died last month. His complete obituary can be read on our web page. Thank you to Marilyn Wansing for providing it.
And we have a new address! It is now
My other piece of bad news is that our friend Arthur Knapheide is seriously ill with Ocular Melanoma. Arthur and Joy are in Arizona for his treatments, which I believe are now complete. Arthur has always enjoyed reading TLC and your news, and he's been a frequent contributor. I know he would appreciate hearing from you. His email address is and their new address is:  23725 S Vacation Way; Sun Lakes, AZ 85248; 480-883-8075. 
Mary Kay Wilcoxon '58 Gooseman, who is Arthur's cousin, told me he and Joy got a kick out of voting for Alfred. This note came just before Arthur got sick.
There was no doubt in my mind with all your faithful supporters that he (Alfred) would win hands down!  I talked to my cousin that was visiting here, and they had tried to vote for him more than just once!!  Will he be going for "Cat of the Year" next?  Let us know if he does and we'll vote him in again!!!
Arthur and Joy were in Lexington for just a short while, but is always good to see them.  Diane (O'Malley) Jiminez was here Monday for a short visit as well.  All are doing fine, and she is anxious for next October for our 50th reunion. Again, my congratulations to Sir Alfred, as well as his "parents." 

What's new here in town? A popular new eating establishment, Mulligan's Pub & Grub, has opened and is in full swing as The Littlest Pub in Missouri.

The Obsidian Panther is re-opening, and we have a new shop called Enigma Rarities. Both are interesting and unusual and will appeal to our tourist trade.
As for the mail, this came from Jim O'Malley:
Here is more information about the Entine family.
During part of the time that I was attending Lexington High School, I worked Saturdays in the men's clothing area at Entine's.  I have very fond memories of the Entine's as being very friendly people to work for.  One thing that I recall is that they had a code on each item of clothing that told either what the item cost or what the lowest price it could be sold for (I don't recall which) in case the customer wanted to bargain on the price.  The code was based on the name MAYFLOWER where M=1, A=2. etc.  One time when I was working, a lady I was told was Betty Boop (whose real name I recall was Helen Shelton) from the 10th Street house of ill repute came into the store to buy some clothes.  Of course, I didn't work in the women's clothing area and so I didn't get to wait on her.  But her visit did cause a stir with those in the store at the time.
Another item of interest about the Entines is that Helen's husband, Sidney Wexler, and I were in India during World War II at the same time.  He found out that I was in India and got my Army P.O. address and wrote me a letter and said that if I could get leave and get to Calcutta, I could stay at a his billet for a visit.  At the time, I was assigned to a B-29 base at a place called Karaghpur which is about 100 miles from Calcutta.  Anyhow, I did get leave and we had a nice 3-day visit.
Are my notes wrong? Surely Jim O'Malley wasn't old enough to be in WWII.
Ann Fiora '56 Coen, who may also be a cousin of Jim O'Malley, wrote:
We continue to enjoy the TLCs, and the one about Bobby Price was especially interesting for me.  I was at the game in Oklahoma with my family - cousin Kenny Maib was on the team and, of course, we had followed the team throughout the season.  I was only nine years old,  remember being amazed at the "red dirt" in Oklahoma,  and do remember the game.  In my memory he came off the field, sat down on the bench, put his head in his hands and then, I think, fell forward.  It did make an impression on me and the remarks brought back many memories of that trip and the following days. Keep up the good work.   
Jack Gueguen sent a nice note:
Susan, what a remarkable tribute!  Pure love!
As we were altar servers in 1947, Mike McDonald and/or I most likely served that special Mass Father Dibbins said for Bobby the day he died (Dec. 8--a major feast day in the Catholic Church).
Doug Booker wrote about Bobby Price's memorial and football in general at WMA:
BOBBY PRICE was the guy for whom I received a plaque upon graduating Jr College at WMA.  For the 'Best All Round JC Athlete' recognition I received-what a stud, righhhhhhhhhht :)  I actually was not that good at anything, just participated in something every minute there - football, basketball, golf, soccer, track-think that was it.  Anyway, I think it was called the Bobby Price award.
Just an FYI - After reading all this about the 'hit' or pounding or injury dynamics, I/those of us playing football at WMA in college could likely all relate to the feeling of just surviving each game that last year that they played JC football I think (1973-74). We were just demolished by way better athletic talent every game. I think we averaged something like 0-45 scores (losses) through the season, never having scored once!  I had the accomplishment (I think, anyway) of getting closest to scoring all year when during some game, I caught a pass somewhere around the 15-yard line!!!!!!...and subsequently, I am sure, got clobbered as usual. Bill Backs, Bob Skinner, Rick Forsha, are the other 'TOWNIES' that I remember playing with that year.
Shirley Briggle '53 Miller:
That was a lovely tribute to Bobby Price, Susan, and a symbol of how important Lexington was and still is to so many of us.  Bobby is so well remembered because he was so thoroughly loved by the town then.  And he deserved it.
In response to Jack Gueguen's query regarding Bobby Gadt, Norma Gadt wrote in:
I married Bobby and Jimmy Gadt's first cousin, Donald GadtPaul Gadt is our son. He went on to the University of Missouri and played football under Warren Powers. I don't think Bobby Gadt was married or had children at the time of Bobby Price's accident in the Papoose Bowl game.
And Bettina Esser had a question and a comment:
Wasn't there another Lexington boy who died in a football game in the early 60's? Some of these details that people remember seem like a melding between two different, but similar, events.
And P.S.-- ConGRAT to the CAT.
Okay, now we're into the silly stuff. Jane Ann Whitney '56 Hunt sent kudos to Alfred:
Many, many congratulations to Sir Alfred and his parents!!! Is he walking just a little more proudly these days? Does he receive visitors and many extra pets? What an honor, and I am so glad we were able to participate in his coronation! He probably is elevated above the "Sir" stage now ---maybe he is the Earl of Worthington or even Prince Worthington! Wow! We know royalty! Long live Prince Alfred!
I told her he was grateful for all the little people who voted for him, dogs too.

Mary Ann Mullen '57 Lane:

Susan, I'm glad to hear Alfred won. I voted for him, he's such a pretty cat...or should I say handsome? I have been reading all of your communications with interest, I always do. I remember I had a crush on Bobby Price. I don't know how I knew him since I was only seven at the time, but he was a very nice looking guy.  I wish I could remember more. I'm amazed at the good memories for facts, people and places that everyone has.
I enjoyed the Helen Entine saga and the discussion of the Palace Hotel. My mother worked for Western Union for a few years, and the office was located in the lobby of the Palace. All of these memories are floating around in the back of my mind, but I can only recall small bits and pieces. Every now and then somebody says something that sparks an old memory. You are doing a great job. I also appreciate the pictures. Its good to see the old home town, and the mural looks wonderful.
Barbara Lee '57 Fay wrote an article about September's Vintage Homes Tour:


Lexingtonians rolled out the welcome mat for visitors from near and far recently with the Vintage Homes Tour. My girlfriends here in the Kansas City area have mentioned over the years that they would like to go to Lexington=92s homes tour sometime, so this was the year!  I=92ve done a little recap here of the homes we visited, and maybe it will jog some of your memories of just what a treasure still lies within our "vintage" home town.


My friends and I got more than expected that day! We met people everywhere that I could introduce them to, and then embellish the stories at each home with my own recollections. Particularly interesting to me was what I call the Roncelli house on Marshall School Road (referred to as the Theodore Gosewisch house, dated 1847).


I lived next door to Jim and Alma Roncelli on South 13th Street, and when Joe, Steve, and Nancy went to visit their grandparents who lived in this house, they sometimes invited Duncan and me along. At that time, the house was really out in the country. Now you can see it from the highway, and Marshall School no longer stands. Over the years, the house had several other owners and it fell into disrepair. The current owners have done a magnificent job making extensive renovations required to make it livable again. I=92m still wondering how they got the snakes out of the basement!


Fred and Abigail Tempel=92s home on the northwest corner of 17th & Main is most elaborate with intricate beveled glass and graceful curving woodwork, to say nothing of the private antique collection within. Here I ran into Lucia Cope Hulston and her sister, Shelley Cope Trewolla, who lives about 4 blocks from me. They had volunteered to be guides at the home. I got separated from my girlfriends here as I was having fun talking with all the people I know! 


The current owners of the Benton-Todhunter house (built by John Waddell, Sr. in 1838) now reflects authentic frontier living, including a wood stove in the kitchen. I doubt very much that when those dignified ladies, Miss Emory and Miss Katherine, lived there the conditions were as austere.


I had never before been in the Wallace house (1870) at 115 N. 17th Street, although I certainly must have walked by it many times to watch the football games at the Wentworth stadium. The current owners, Ben Wood and Armen Davis, have decorated it very tastefully and comfortably, including a lovely garden out back. The tour guides here wore the Victorian hoop-skirted dresses, reminding me of the homes tours that were popular when I was a girl. It=92s nice to see that charming tradition is being continued.


Judge Wallace built the home (1895) now owned by Harry and Pat Hook at the southwest corner of 19th & Main.They have accomplished a faithful restoration of the exterior of the home, and returned the floor plan to its original design of 15 rooms. I=92ve always loved those back stairwells that lead one right into the kitchen, this one having been updated with an adjoining cheerful sunroom overlooking a beautiful yard.   


I need to mention the cadets stationed at each home. It was good to see the cooperation between Wentworth and the community. We learned by chance that lemonade and cookies were being served at the Wentworth museum, so in we went. We spent most of the time talking to two female high school cadets who told us how much they enjoyed the structured learning environment. One was from Iowa and one was from Tennessee.


My friends were treated royally by everyone, and especially by two of my own "vintage" schoolmates.  When Susan and Ken Worthington learned I was bringing some girlfriends for the tour, they insisted we start at their house with Mimosas, and a tour of the house and courtyard, too. That experience got us off to a mellow, carefree day of touring! Then Bill and Davoren Tempel invited us to their lovely old home (formerly owned by Dr. Brasher) before we headed back home. So, what began as a 4-5 hour day to tour some old houses, turned into a 14-hour day full of good old Southern hospitality with some genuine folks, and as one of the girls told me later, "you=92ve certainly left your fingerprints on the town."  Hmmm=85.   If walls could talk.


Mike McDonald is justly proud of his son-in-law. Congrats to him! Read further:


On Oct. 20, 2007, Jay Dardenne was re-elected Louisiana Secretary of State for a full term [4 years].  It just occurred to me that this news probably has not yet reached the far corners of civilization and probably will never be considered news in your neck of the woods.  Also, after a bad car accident in early August, Jay is recovering nicely with a number of screws, plates, etc. in his spine and pelvis and is back at work full time.  By the way, Jay won with 63% of the vote against two opponents.
And on that "up" note, we will close this edition of TLC. Please write with answers to the posed questions, questions that may have occurred to you, and any memory that crops up. I can guarantee someone else will share that memory and enjoy reading it. Meanwhile, I remain...
Your devoted scribe,









Links to other pages